“If you’re going through hell, keep going…”
Winston Churchill, the former British Prime Minister said it best. In what I believe was his second speech to the British people after taking office, he spoke the words that still hold true to this day. Churchill and the British people were facing what seemed to be an impossible task. They needed to defend their country against an onslaught of German fighter and bombers.
Churchills plan was total and complete defiance. “We shall never surrender.” he told the British. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” he goes on to say that they will “Never, never, never give up.” You see, Churchill knew that there was no turning back, no giving in. Things were so bad that the only way through was forward and it didn’t matter the cost.
For some, hell might be something like losing a job. For others, it might be a relationship, personal growth, business difficulties, family issues or health related. Whatever you are going through, just keep going. Hell is different for everyone, but we can all agree it sucks.
When things are not working out the way you planned on the big project, it sucks.
When life creeps up on you and gives you a gut punch in the guy for no reason, it sucks.
When something really shitty happens and it seems to stick around for longer than you want it to, it sucks.
Here’s what you do…give the devil a quick high five on the way through hell and keep going. Sage advice I know.
Since everyone experiences different levels of “hell”, it’s difficult to give hard and fast advice on exactly how to get through your situation. However, here are some simple guidelines that can help. Follow them and you’ll find yourself in a happier place, it might take some time, but you will get there.
5 Tips If You’re Going Through Hell
- STAY POSITIVE: This one can be tough, but when a negative thought enters your head quickly think of something positive. Think of anything that is better and more enjoyable than the current thought. Think of your goals, people you love, envision accomplishing things or where you want to be.
- REMIND YOURSELF: Tell yourself several times a day why you are doing what you are doing. If you don’t have an “it” yet, then sit down and find it. Finding your “IT” is a good place to start. Find your it and then think about it several times a day.
- GET ACTIVE: Get moving and be healthy. Get moving, go for a walk, play some golf or hit the gym. Just getting your blood moving and elevating your heart rate is a positive thing. Don’t like people? I get it, go for a quick hike, do some body weight exercises or run on the treadmill with your headphones on so no one can talk to you. Get it done.
- THIS IS TEMPORARY: Tell yourself that no matter what is happening right now that “it is only temporary” and that this too will pass. You’ve gone through tough times before, made it to the other side and became a better person for it.
- BE A GOOD APPLE: Get around positive like minded people who you can relate to and want to be around. One bad apple spoils the bunch. So, if you are hanging around other bad apples things will not progress like you hope. Remove negativity from your life and cast out the bad apples.
I know it’s tough, but take ten minutes a day to focus on the important things in life. Mediate, clear your mind, think positive thoughts and be grateful for the good things you have. No matter what hell you are going through there are some positive things you can latch onto and use while walking past the devil.
Everyone has good things you just need to find them. Need help? Chat me up and I’ll help you find some.
Push through this temporary hell and you’ll soon find yourself on the other side.